From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Local bindist descriptions
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:26:23
1 On 2012-12-31, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 15:15:25 +0100
4 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:01:52 -0300
7 >> Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
8 >>
9 >> > > Etc. ffmpeg is like the holy grail of local bindist descriptions.
10 >> >
11 >> > bindist does absolutely nothing by itself there. do you really want
12 >> > a description like "Enforces license compatibility constraints" ?
13 >> > I consider this a subset of the current bindist description. If you
14 >> > don't then maybe the bindist description should be updated.
15 >>
16 >> Well, that's another problem we have there. I really like the ffmpeg
17 >> idea of 'bindist' not doing anything by itself. If all packages did
18 >> that, I would see no problem with having global meaningful 'bindist'.
19 >>
20 >> But if in some cases USE=bindist does something, then I believe ffmpeg
21 >> should describe that it just 'enforces REQUIRED_USE contraints' with
22 >> no hidden magic beneath.
23 >
24 > Yep you're right, I guess in that case it's good to add such a
25 > description.
26
27 And maybe "check ebuild for more information", although I think this is
28 rather suboptimal approach, if we're providing a description for it, we
29 may as well provide a more complete one, and, for the same cost, make
30 life easier for other people:
31
32 "Do not allow the compilation of patent-encumbered AAC
33 encoders. Please note that disabling this flag does not enable these
34 features, which are ruled by separate flags (encoding and either faac
35 or aacplus)."
38 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
39 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/