From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: Future Support of hardened-sources Kernel
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 09:34:48
1 On 10/20/15 4:45 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 4:23 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3 >> However, does this mean the hardened kernel package must stay in ~arch
4 >> since it's technically the testing version? Or would we keyword it
5 >> based on our own findings of stability?
6 > I'd recommend that the team does whatever adds the most value. If it
7 > doesn't want to do QA on released versions then I suggest it all stay
8 > as ~arch. If you're going to do your own QA I don't see why you can't
9 > mark versions as stable - just make it clear to users what stable
10 > means.
11 >
12 > BTW, while they're only tracking the most recent stable branch of the
13 > kernel, they ARE tracking a stable branch, and not mainline.
14 >
15 I have been marking hardened-sources based on the grsecurity testing
16 patches as stable since forever and will continue with the same
17 practice. "Testing" means they add new features there first and those
18 new features can break stuff. We identify breakage in bug reports and
19 hold back to versions that are known to work until upstream fixes the
20 broken features. It works pretty good in practices and most users of
21 hardened-sources already know this. What they may not know is that the
22 3.x is no longer public.
25 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
26 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
27 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
28 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
29 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA