From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Maintainer needed: dev-libs/icu
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 18:45:07
1 On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > I expect that anyone and everyone who contribute to any open source
3 > project will do their damndest to contribute only "perfect" work.
4
5 Setting aside issues of tone, I want to touch on the more direct issue
6 of "quality" and "perfection."
7
8 I do think that most developers aim for high quality, but quality
9 means something different to everybody.
10
11 Quality could be:
12 1. Having a newer package in the tree, perhaps with resolved upstream issues.
13 2. Having more integration testing.
14 3. Having good documentation.
15 4. Having good communications to the end users about impending changes.
16 5. Being better integrated with other projects (such as chromium in this case).
17 6. Maintainability of the actual ebuild code.
18 7. Compliance with formal policies.
19
20 All of those have a connotation of quality, and they are at odds with
21 each other. The more time you spend on any of them the less time you
22 have to spend on others. Complying with any of #2-7 takes time, and
23 thus conflicts with #1.
24
25 I think we should have a pool of developer proxies who are interested
26 in supporting proxy maintenance. I don't think we get anywhere by
27 punishing them when the inevitable mistake occurs. However, we also
28 don't get anywhere by turning a blind eye to real issues that
29 repeatedly come up. It sounds like there are some of those with ICU.
30
31 I don't think we need drastic action. Maybe we just need a proxy dev
32 who can be a little more closely associated with the package so
33 they're aware of the issues that routinely come up and can help
34 prevent them. Maybe Arfrever can work a little more closely with some
35 of the other teams.
36
37 I do think we need reasonable quality policies so that we're all on
38 the same page. Testing packages should at least be confirmed as
39 generally working and free of obvious problems. Stable packages
40 should have been in testing for 30 days. Packages with highly
41 impactful changes should have news items before being unmasked or
42 stabilized. And so on. They don't have to be out-of-hand, and we
43 don't have to shoot our wounded either.
44
45 Rich