From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On hosting self-produced distfiles
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 03:31:31
1 On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 21:56:52 Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
3 > > Il giorno mer, 19/01/2011 alle 21.44 -0500, Mike Frysinger ha scritto:
4 > >> you really need to start off discussions as "here is the problem i
5 > >> perceive
6 > >> and here is a solution i think will address it". shooting off e-mails
7 > >> from on
8 > >> high as an official edict without room for discussion is no way to run
9 > >> a team.
10 > >
11 > > There is nothing new or revolutionary in what I said — are you trying to
12 > > challenge the need for traceability of distfiles?
13 >
14 > Good grief. No.
15 >
16 > He seems to be simply stating that you'd do better to say "we have a
17 > problem with $this and I think it'd be fixed with $that" instead of
18 > "This is to be considered QA policy, so we're going to ask soon to
19 > enforce this."
20
21 pretty much. no point in getting your panties in a bunch.
22
23 here's a better idea: figure out something with the infra team. we havent
24 hosted files on dev.g.o because we've felt the distfiles tree to be
25 sufficient. since there seems to be more need now, let's find out what infra
26 can do to help out.
27
28 again, declaring policy ahead of talking to anyone else is not the way to go.
29 -mike