From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Some sync control
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:37:21
1 On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 09:14:41AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > | You get conflicts with CVS already in that case, it's not going to
3 > | increase the number of conflicts in any way.
4 > Except that with CVS, you just update that one directory, which isn't
5 > particularly painful even for all the arch people who live in backwards
6 > countries with wet string internet connections.
7
8 Please see my posting that I made before Donnie's (message id
9 <20070117083014.GC23219@××××××××××××××××××××××××.net>), in which I
10 state:
11 > > See lower down in the GLEP where it states that upstream are working on
12 > > it, and such features would be completed sooner is Gentoo added some
13 > > manpower. I do however personally expect them to be ready by mid-2007
14 > > already.
15
16 I fully agree that right now GIT is not suitable as you cannot do partial
17 checkouts in time or directory dimensions. But it really is coming in the
18 future.
19
20 After the initial checkout (which sucks on wet-string+cans as well), GIT
21 actually uses less bandwidth than CVS, because it doesn't need to send
22 entire files back to the server to get diffs. It just uses rsync (where
23 available) to pull over the new files (the actual revision data files
24 never change once committed).
27 Robin Hugh Johnson
28 Gentoo Linux Developer
29 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
30 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85