From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: logrotate
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:26:26
1 On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 09:36 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > > In fact, I've thought many times about supplying "pre-packages" that are
3 > > no more than a collection of all the config files for a given package.
4 >
5 > What about the unused `ebuild [ebuild] config`? Isn't that the perfect place
6 > for this sort of stuff? The only package that I know that uses this feature
7 > is mysql. There are way more possibilities.
8
9 I use it fairly regularly. I know that we use it on any game that
10 requires a CD key, and also for VMWare (I bet most people don't know
11 that!) to configure the modules.
12
13 I hadn't considered using it for actually configuring a package (duh!)
14 but that really is a very cool idea. Imagine if we started doing this
15 for more packages. It would remove one of the primary complaints people
16 have about Gentoo being "too hard" since they don't know "what to do
17 next" after they emerge a package. If we got people used to "ebuild
18 [ebuild] config", then we could remove a good bit of the issue.
19
20 Just an idea, but one I'll probably be using more often now.
23 Chris Gianelloni
25 Games - Developer
26 Gentoo Linux