From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (OT) Accounting systems: Ledger-CLI vs GNUcash
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 02:48:01
1 On 12/04/2016 04:03 PM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > On 04/12/16 23:49, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 11:07:59PM +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
4 >>> I gather both Quickbooks and Sage have a more modular approach to
5 >>> "proper" accounting software applicable to small and large businesses. I
6 >>> know my mother used Quickbooks in the past with good success and the
7 >>> support of her accountant, but Sage is known to be equally accessible. I
8 >>> would imagine there is an appropriate version for not-for-profit or
9 >>> charities, perhaps you can seek advice with the person(s) already
10 >>> contacted for accounting/finance purposes?!
11 >> Our CPA (Yes, we do have one) only recommends QuickBooks, but has used a
12 >> variety of other proprietary systems (none of which he recommends at
13 >> all!).
14 >>
15 >> The catch is that either Quickbooks or Sage would be a violation of the
16 >> social contract's libre-licence dependence clause.
17 >>
18 >> Ledger HAS filled most of our needs thus far, but lacks in reporting and
19 >> some automation:
20 >> - I'd love to automatically generate lots of depreciation
21 >> entries, but can't yet.
22 >> - Something to anonymize private information in some entries, so that
23 >> the actual Ledgers can be published for transparency.
24 >>
25 > Thanks for the clarification, Robin. It may be worth reviewing that
26 > social contract to allow us better compliance if deemed worthwhile!
27 >
28 > :]
29 >
30 Compliance with what? If others desire Quickbook support, they can make
31 a tool to convert from ledger. There's no good reason for a non-profit,
32 libre software organization to use and depend on proprietary software.
33 Did nobody learn a lesson from BitKeeper?
36 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
37 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
38 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6