From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (OT) Accounting systems: Ledger-CLI vs GNUcash
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 00:03:29
1 On 04/12/16 23:49, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 11:07:59PM +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
3 >> I gather both Quickbooks and Sage have a more modular approach to
4 >> "proper" accounting software applicable to small and large businesses. I
5 >> know my mother used Quickbooks in the past with good success and the
6 >> support of her accountant, but Sage is known to be equally accessible. I
7 >> would imagine there is an appropriate version for not-for-profit or
8 >> charities, perhaps you can seek advice with the person(s) already
9 >> contacted for accounting/finance purposes?!
10 > Our CPA (Yes, we do have one) only recommends QuickBooks, but has used a
11 > variety of other proprietary systems (none of which he recommends at
12 > all!).
13 >
14 > The catch is that either Quickbooks or Sage would be a violation of the
15 > social contract's libre-licence dependence clause.
16 >
17 > Ledger HAS filled most of our needs thus far, but lacks in reporting and
18 > some automation:
19 > - I'd love to automatically generate lots of depreciation
20 > entries, but can't yet.
21 > - Something to anonymize private information in some entries, so that
22 > the actual Ledgers can be published for transparency.
23 >
24 Thanks for the clarification, Robin. It may be worth reviewing that
25 social contract to allow us better compliance if deemed worthwhile!
26
27 :]