From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (OT) Accounting systems: Ledger-CLI vs GNUcash
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 23:50:08
1 On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 11:07:59PM +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > I gather both Quickbooks and Sage have a more modular approach to
3 > "proper" accounting software applicable to small and large businesses. I
4 > know my mother used Quickbooks in the past with good success and the
5 > support of her accountant, but Sage is known to be equally accessible. I
6 > would imagine there is an appropriate version for not-for-profit or
7 > charities, perhaps you can seek advice with the person(s) already
8 > contacted for accounting/finance purposes?!
9 Our CPA (Yes, we do have one) only recommends QuickBooks, but has used a
10 variety of other proprietary systems (none of which he recommends at
11 all!).
12
13 The catch is that either Quickbooks or Sage would be a violation of the
14 social contract's libre-licence dependence clause.
15
16 Ledger HAS filled most of our needs thus far, but lacks in reporting and
17 some automation:
18 - I'd love to automatically generate lots of depreciation
19 entries, but can't yet.
20 - Something to anonymize private information in some entries, so that
21 the actual Ledgers can be published for transparency.
24 Robin Hugh Johnson
25 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
26 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
27 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
28 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136