From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (OT) Accounting systems: Ledger-CLI vs GNUcash
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 23:08:09
1 On 04/12/16 22:55, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > (OT accounting systems)
3 >
4 > On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 01:10:16PM -0500, james wrote:
5 >> GNUcash is superior to Quickbooks, as it is a 'double entry' accounting
6 >> system. Last time I check Quickbooks was not 'double entry' and that is
7 >> a big deal in accounting.
8 > QuickBooks is double-entry, and has been for a very long time; It did
9 > used to obscure the fact before, to make accounting 'easier' for
10 > non-accounting people to understand.
11 >
12 > For the Foundation, I'm presently using Ledger-CLI [1], but this is a
13 > hurdle for any third-party financial auditing (we should be prepared at
14 > all times for a real financial audit), because they want data in
15 > quickbooks format.
16 >
17 > If there is a good GNUCash support for non-profit accounting (which does
18 > differ from small-business accounting, see [2]), and matching
19 > documentation for it, I'm VERY interested to know about it.
20 >
21 > Why Ledger? The Software Freedom Conservancy started a project aimed at
22 > Non-Profit accounting [3], wrapped around Ledger, which covers far more
23 > of the non-profit nuances than GNUCash does.
24 >
25 > They included enough documentation in how to specifically configure
26 > Ledger for non-profit usage, so it was easy to get going since I already
27 > used Ledger for my personal accounting.
28 >
29 > Ledger being plain-text based does work very well with version control,
30 > even for multiple parties (I enlisted help to convert old bank
31 > statements).
32 >
33 > [1] http://www.ledger-cli.org/
34 > [2] http://www.accountingcoach.com/nonprofit-accounting/explanation/1
35 > [3] https://sfconservancy.org/npoacct/
36 >
37 I gather both Quickbooks and Sage have a more modular approach to
38 "proper" accounting software applicable to small and large businesses. I
39 know my mother used Quickbooks in the past with good success and the
40 support of her accountant, but Sage is known to be equally accessible. I
41 would imagine there is an appropriate version for not-for-profit or
42 charities, perhaps you can seek advice with the person(s) already
43 contacted for accounting/finance purposes?!