From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] (OT) Accounting systems: Ledger-CLI vs GNUcash
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 22:55:21
1 (OT accounting systems)
2
3 On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 01:10:16PM -0500, james wrote:
4 > GNUcash is superior to Quickbooks, as it is a 'double entry' accounting
5 > system. Last time I check Quickbooks was not 'double entry' and that is
6 > a big deal in accounting.
7 QuickBooks is double-entry, and has been for a very long time; It did
8 used to obscure the fact before, to make accounting 'easier' for
9 non-accounting people to understand.
10
11 For the Foundation, I'm presently using Ledger-CLI [1], but this is a
12 hurdle for any third-party financial auditing (we should be prepared at
13 all times for a real financial audit), because they want data in
14 quickbooks format.
15
16 If there is a good GNUCash support for non-profit accounting (which does
17 differ from small-business accounting, see [2]), and matching
18 documentation for it, I'm VERY interested to know about it.
19
20 Why Ledger? The Software Freedom Conservancy started a project aimed at
21 Non-Profit accounting [3], wrapped around Ledger, which covers far more
22 of the non-profit nuances than GNUCash does.
23
24 They included enough documentation in how to specifically configure
25 Ledger for non-profit usage, so it was easy to get going since I already
26 used Ledger for my personal accounting.
27
28 Ledger being plain-text based does work very well with version control,
29 even for multiple parties (I enlisted help to convert old bank
30 statements).
31
32 [1] http://www.ledger-cli.org/
33 [2] http://www.accountingcoach.com/nonprofit-accounting/explanation/1
34 [3] https://sfconservancy.org/npoacct/
37 Robin Hugh Johnson
38 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
39 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
40 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
41 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136