From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: masking old versions of sys-devel/gcc
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 12:23:17
1 On śro, 2017-04-26 at 11:42 +0200, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Michał Górny schrieb:
3 > > The most important goal of having the packages masked is that it would
4 > > cause Portage to verbosely complain whenever the users have it
5 > > installed. With appropriate comment (displayed by Portage), we could
6 > > clearly inform users that they need to upgrade gcc and switch to a new
7 > > version to ensure that majority of packages work.
8 >
9 > Portage already tells users to run --depclean after each @world update,
10 > which will remove old gcc versions (except if stuff like gcj-jdk is
11 > installed).
12 > What your proposal does is to remind users who don't act on the first
13 > message, or who never do world updates, do I get this right?
14
15 Yes, mostly those users. However, it will also remind those who decided
16 not to upgrade for some reason, e.g. planned to do it later, then
17 forgot.
18
19 Plus those users who have old systems and attempt to do larger upgrades
20 -- as an explicit note that they need to take special care to switch gcc
21 before upgrading most of their system.
24 Best regards,
25 Michał Górny