From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: masking old versions of sys-devel/gcc
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:42:31
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 > The most important goal of having the packages masked is that it would
3 > cause Portage to verbosely complain whenever the users have it
4 > installed. With appropriate comment (displayed by Portage), we could
5 > clearly inform users that they need to upgrade gcc and switch to a new
6 > version to ensure that majority of packages work.
7
8 Portage already tells users to run --depclean after each @world update,
9 which will remove old gcc versions (except if stuff like gcj-jdk is
10 installed).
11 What your proposal does is to remind users who don't act on the first
12 message, or who never do world updates, do I get this right?
15 Best regards,
16 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn