From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stabilisation procedure
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:28:33
1 Hi Daniel,
2
3 On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 12:55:09AM -0800, Daniel Campbell wrote:
4 > Agreed. For most of my packages, I really don't mind since we're all
5 > working on Gentoo together, but it'd be super helpful if I was simply
6 > notified in the event that a package I maintain has gotten a security
7 > bump, patch, or stabilization. Sure, 'git log' and 'git blame' can
8 > explain a few things, but if I was going to edit a package, I have the
9 > maintainer's e-mail available right there in metadata.xml. To me it's a
10 > courtesy that should be a requirement by default, while devs that don't
11 > care can use whatever means we agree upon to indicate that they don't care.
12
13 If you are not the maintainer or a member of the maintaining project,
14 contacting the maintainer of a package before you touch it is already
15 required by default and has been since I can remember [1]. I have
16 noticed that some developers do not follow this; that is a different
17 issue.
20 It would be nice to have a way in metadata for maintainers to show that
21 they are ok with others working on their packages so that if they go
22 unresponsive we don't have to wait 2-4 weeks before we can do anything.
23
24 William
25
26 [1] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-maintenance/