From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stabilisation procedure
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 08:55:24
1 On 11/17/2016 01:07 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 03:05:41PM +0100, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 >>> Isn't it implied that any stabilisation is approved by the maintainer?
4 >>> Has it ever been acceptable to go around stabilising random packages?
5 >>>
6 >>
7 >> Explicit > Implicit when we're updating things anyways.
8 >>
9 >> There are scenarios where e.g Security is calling for stabilization ,
10 >> I'll add some info to the draft security GLEP with some requirements for
11 >> when this can happen without maintainer involvement as well..
12 >>
13 >> Ultimately maintainer is responsible for the state of the stable tree
14 >> for the packages they maintain and should be taking proactive steps for
15 >> this also for security bugs, it doesn't "always" happen like that.....
16 >
17 > The interaction of this proposal and the prior discussion of allow
18 > maintainers to document the maintenance policy of given packages is
19 > where it would really come into play.
20 >
21 > Using two packages for examples:
22 > app-admin/diradm: I am the upstream author as well as the package
23 > maintainer. I care about it being marked stable. I'd prefer the normal
24 > policy of other people asking me (with timeout) before touching it.
25 >
26 > app-admin/cancd: It's a very obscure package that I put in the tree
27 > because I needed it, but I haven't personally used it in many years.
28 > I fix the packaging if it's broken only.
29 > I'm inclined to mark it with 'anybody-may-bump/fix/stabilize'.
30 >
31 Agreed. For most of my packages, I really don't mind since we're all
32 working on Gentoo together, but it'd be super helpful if I was simply
33 notified in the event that a package I maintain has gotten a security
34 bump, patch, or stabilization. Sure, 'git log' and 'git blame' can
35 explain a few things, but if I was going to edit a package, I have the
36 maintainer's e-mail available right there in metadata.xml. To me it's a
37 courtesy that should be a requirement by default, while devs that don't
38 care can use whatever means we agree upon to indicate that they don't care.
39
40 This creates a "contact first" practice, which it seems we want to
41 encourage. If someone isn't responsive and/or away, that complicates
42 things, but if it's a security concern or the last blocker in a big
43 stabilization effort (looking at you, tcl 8.6...), then it makes sense
44 to just go ahead and make the bumps necessary.
47 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
48 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
49 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6