From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stabilisation procedure
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 21:07:41
1 On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 03:05:41PM +0100, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > > Isn't it implied that any stabilisation is approved by the maintainer?
3 > > Has it ever been acceptable to go around stabilising random packages?
6 > Explicit > Implicit when we're updating things anyways.
7 >
8 > There are scenarios where e.g Security is calling for stabilization ,
9 > I'll add some info to the draft security GLEP with some requirements for
10 > when this can happen without maintainer involvement as well..
11 >
12 > Ultimately maintainer is responsible for the state of the stable tree
13 > for the packages they maintain and should be taking proactive steps for
14 > this also for security bugs, it doesn't "always" happen like that.....
15
16 The interaction of this proposal and the prior discussion of allow
17 maintainers to document the maintenance policy of given packages is
18 where it would really come into play.
19
20 Using two packages for examples:
21 app-admin/diradm: I am the upstream author as well as the package
22 maintainer. I care about it being marked stable. I'd prefer the normal
23 policy of other people asking me (with timeout) before touching it.
24
25 app-admin/cancd: It's a very obscure package that I put in the tree
26 because I needed it, but I haven't personally used it in many years.
27 I fix the packaging if it's broken only.
28 I'm inclined to mark it with 'anybody-may-bump/fix/stabilize'.
31 Robin Hugh Johnson
32 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
33 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
34 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
35 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136