From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stabilisation procedure
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 14:05:56
1 On 11/17/2016 02:47 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > On 18/11/16 00:26, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 >> Strictly speaking GLEP 40 forbids it still, although some arch teams
4 >> have made announcements to approve it, see e.g [1,2]. I wouldn't be
5 >> surprised if one of the results of the stable WG is an updated GLEP 40
6 >> that (new GLEP replacing existing) that allows for MAINTAINER
7 >> self-stabilization. Personally I don't like "any developer may perform"
8 >> part of it. The maintainer is responsible, and should at least ack
9 >> stabilization at all before anything is stabilized (for arch-team
10 >> stabilization as well), and consequently individual stabilizations by
11 >> developers, either the maintainer itself or someone with applicable
12 >> hardware.
13 >
14 > Isn't it implied that any stabilisation is approved by the maintainer?
15 > Has it ever been acceptable to go around stabilising random packages?
18 Explicit > Implicit when we're updating things anyways.
19
20 There are scenarios where e.g Security is calling for stabilization ,
21 I'll add some info to the draft security GLEP with some requirements for
22 when this can happen without maintainer involvement as well..
23
24 Ultimately maintainer is responsible for the state of the stable tree
25 for the packages they maintain and should be taking proactive steps for
26 this also for security bugs, it doesn't "always" happen like that.....
29 Kristian Fiskerstrand
30 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
31 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3