From: Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A feedback about the CI bug reporting system
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 08:39:45
1 On venerdì 6 novembre 2020 09:18:50 CET Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > Would it be possible for "someone" to figure it out, if you made your
3 > tinderbox scripts/code public? ;) Hate to say it, but toralf does pretty
4 > good job here, so it could be better.
5
6 As stated multiple times, toralf said that the way he's filing bugs expect a
7 copy-paste action for the summary, this is not possible if you want to do that
8 in a more automatic way.
11 > Yes, I do find your tinderbox work useful most of the time. Thanks!
12 > However the latest, ehh, show with DISTUTILS_USE_SETUPTOOLS has made
13 > people do *hundreds* of commits that now apparently need a fixing
14 > anyway, or reverting back, and that doesn't feel nice. Sure maybe the
15 > eclass could do some fixing too, but maybe this notice wasn't meant to
16 > be full-tree scanned (at least _yet_).
17
18 This class of bugs comes from a request. Months ago I also asked if I had
19 report these bugs during the stabilization and I got a positive feedback.
22 > From my point of view your work is, and has been, appreciated, but you
23 > could coordinate better with other people. Hate to say it again, but
24 > toralf does seems to do a better job here too in that regard. Unless
25 > you're fine with comparing tinderboxers.
26 > With toralf's logs it's easy to reproduce the whole environment leading
27 > to a build failure, while with yours it's just build.log, thay may or
28 > may not be enough to find the build-breaking issue.
29
30 This is something already discussed (maybe privately?) and clearly state by
31 me.
32 If you say that with my logs you are unable to reproduce the issue, since I'm
33 providing emerge --info and build log, you are saying that those info are not
34 enough.
35 So, I'd suggest to fix this issue upstream by clearly defining what is needed
36 in a bug report, because AFAIK atm for a bug report is needed a build log and
37 emerge --info
38
39 If you want more info, why do not extend the emerge --info into for example
40 emerge --info --extended instead of ask one by one to attach more info??
41
42 So the point is that there is no rule but just everyone ask without fixing the
43 problem upstream.
44
45 While you have a new option for detailed info, every people that run tinderbox
46 or just people that report bugs can use it.
47
48 If you see an example of toralf bug, I can see:
49
50 gcc-config -l:
51 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-7.3.1
52 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-10.2.0 *
53 clang version 11.0.0
54 Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
55 Thread model: posix
56 InstalledDir: /usr/lib/llvm/11/bin
57 /usr/lib/llvm/11
58 11.0.0
59 Available Python interpreters, in order of preference:
60 [1] python3.7
61 [2] python3.9 (fallback)
62 [3] python3.8 (fallback)
63 [4] python2.7 (fallback)
64 Available Ruby profiles:
65 [1] ruby25 (with Rubygems)
66 [2] ruby26 (with Rubygems)
67 [3] ruby27 (with Rubygems) *
68 Available Rust versions:
69 [1] rust-bin-1.47.0 *
70 The following VMs are available for generation-2:
71 1) IcedTea JDK 3.17.0 [icedtea-8]
72 *) AdoptOpenJDK 8.272_p10 [openjdk-bin-8]
73 Available Java Virtual Machines:
74 [1] icedtea-8
75 [2] openjdk-bin-8 system-vm
76
77 The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 8.8.4
78
79 Again: why these info are not in emerge --info if are useful for a bugreport?
82 I'm sure you understand the concept
83
84 Agostino