From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ago@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A feedback about the CI bug reporting system
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 08:19:08
1 On 11/6/20 9:21 AM, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > 6 months have been passed after the CI system started to file bug reports.
5 > ~ 4700 bugs have been submitted
6 >
7 > We _know_ that atm is not possible to set a specific summary, instead a
8 > generic summary is used in case of compile failures and test failures.
9 > There are also some documented limitations.
10 Would it be possible for "someone" to figure it out, if you made your
11 tinderbox scripts/code public? ;) Hate to say it, but toralf does pretty
12 good job here, so it could be better.
13
14 > Since there are conflicting opinions I would like to know if you find it
15 > useful or not.
16 Yes, I do find your tinderbox work useful most of the time. Thanks!
17 However the latest, ehh, show with DISTUTILS_USE_SETUPTOOLS has made
18 people do *hundreds* of commits that now apparently need a fixing
19 anyway, or reverting back, and that doesn't feel nice. Sure maybe the
20 eclass could do some fixing too, but maybe this notice wasn't meant to
21 be full-tree scanned (at least _yet_).
22
23 From my point of view your work is, and has been, appreciated, but you
24 could coordinate better with other people. Hate to say it again, but
25 toralf does seems to do a better job here too in that regard. Unless
26 you're fine with comparing tinderboxers.
27
28 With toralf's logs it's easy to reproduce the whole environment leading
29 to a build failure, while with yours it's just build.log, thay may or
30 may not be enough to find the build-breaking issue.
31
32 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature