From: Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A feedback about the CI bug reporting system
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 11:03:35
3 >I do disagree with your presumption that this needs to be automated.
4 >The whole point behind providing a service is that you should be ready
5 >to dedicate *your* time into the service. However, we keep feeling that
6 >you assume that your time is too precious, and it is better to waste
7 >a little bit of everybody else's time. This is why Toralf's effort is
8 >much more appreciated.
9
10 I don't guess that my time is precious and your time is not.
11
12 If you take a look at the amount of bugs you will see that it is not possible
13 for an human to file those bugs manually.
14 So if is not clear, the concept would be: I invest my time to find bugs that
15 have not been discovered by others, but you give me an hand to find the exact
16 issue by analyzing the build log helping yourself with ctrl-f function of the
17 browser
24 >I am concerned about new test scenarios being run and QA warnings being
25 >reported without proper research and documentation. It's not exactly
26 >helpful to spam people with hundreds of bugs without a single proper
27 >document explaining how to resolve issues. This just provokes people to
28 >do apply bad workarounds, not to mention wasting everyone's time.
29
30 Usually, qa notices are not something invented by me. So in other words you
31 are saying that while I'm reporting a QA notice that comes from portage I
32 should explain how to solve the problem?
33 I guess you should resolve the problem upstream. Each QA notice must have
34 something that explain how to solve that.
35 While considering the above, usually to help I add something useful at the end
36 of the bug.
41 >The compiler-rt bugs were one example of both of my points being valid.
42 >You've started running a specific scenario without researching
43 >the underlying problems first, and you have missed entirely that you're
44 >reporting a lots of bugs for the same root issue. People have gotten
45 >hundreds of bugs with no clear explanation how to fix them. The only
46 >reason we didn't get hundreds of horrible 'fixes' is that the problem
47 >was probably too hard to workaround.
48
49 Did you forget how the compiler-rt class of bugs started?
50 Let me remind that:
51 - I had the tinderbox with no load and nothing to check
52 - I thought about a round with compiler-rt
53 - Since _YOU_ are the most active behind the llvm stuff I asked to you if you
54 know how to use the compiler-rt stuff ( I have the IRC logs if you really have
55 a memory lapse )
56 - You and Afrever answered me about the C/LD flags to use.
57 - After the first report (it was an error never seen by me) I asked: Hey is
58 this a report related to compiler-rt? You answered yes
59 - I asked if it was worth to create a bug tracker
60 - you confirmed
61 - I started to file the other bugs
62
63 So would be better to say to the community that:
64 - I have asked to you "how-to"
65 - You shared the necessary info
66 - I started to file bugs (~50 and not hundreds as you said)
67 - You (or someone else) discovered that it is broken without libcxx
72 >DISTUTILS_USE_SETUPTOOLS is yet another example of a minor catastrophe.
73 >Sure, I could've added more information to the check message. However,
74 >there is a major difference between people slowly getting QA warnings
75 >from a new check and people getting hundreds of bugs telling them to fix
76 >these warnings. This is a difference between involving a thinking
77 >person, and a semi-automated process that doesn't account for obvious
78 >mistakes.
81 DISTUTILS_USE_SETUPTOOLS is yet another example of memory lapse.
82
83 Did you forget how the DISTUTILS_USE_SETUPTOOLS class of bugs started?
84 Let me remind that:
85 - During the stabilization process I saw these DISTUTILS_USE_SETUPTOOLS
86 warnings
87 - I asked if was fine to report them
88 - You answered that was fine, but avoid the cases where the warning was in
89 stable but was fixed in ~arch
90 - after few weeks or month ( I don't remember exactly) I was asked by aballier
91 to file this class of bugs.
92
93 Since tinderbox runs always the latest version of the software, I started to
94 file bugs
95
96 When you started to see these bugs you also requested to show the exact value
97 of DISTUTILS_USE_SETUPTOOLS that I immediately added.
98
99 So what I would to point out is: If someone reads this thread think that I
100 autonomously started posting nonsense bugs, but in reality these bugs were
101 requested and initially also resolved.
102
103 So if at some point you discovered that these bugs are nosense because of
104 upstream changes, I have no fault.
109 >AR bugs is another class of controversy. There is one thing to ensure
110 >that build systems respect AR for toolchain work, there is another to
111 >assume that it's fine not to have 'ar' archiver on the system. And yes,
112 >I do realize there are other people involved in this bad idea that
113 >apparently now you need an arch-specific toolchain to unpack
114 >the archives inside Debian packages.
115
116 So this is something that points out that the situation is not clear, it's not
117 me, the tinderbox or the CI.
123 >I am also concerned about the sheer number of bugs caused by missing
124 >dependencies. Sure, I do find it valuable to get reports of missing
125 >dependencies and fix them in my free time. But I disagree that
126 >stabilizations and keywordings should keep being blocked on problems
127 >that are unlikely to ever hit real user systems.
128
129 I really agree with you, so can you share all cases where you seen this
130 problem?
131 I'm pretty sure you are confusing what comes from the CI and what comes from
132 the arch test machines.
135 Agostino