From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Providing consistent means to enable tests requiring Internet access
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 13:25:48
1 On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 16:14:13 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > What do you think? Any other ideas?
5
6 I personally think that "test" being exposed as a useflag is a hack that shouldn't be perpetuated further.
7
8 I'd rather have the ability to check for the flag the same way as we check for arch, but without necessitating
9 that the test driver use flags are exposed visibly even to people who aren't using FEATURES=test
10
11 Similarly, there's irritation derived from having USE flags that *only* pertain to tests, because they
12 turn into null-options when toggled, or pointless REQUIRED_USE rubbish.
13
14 I'd rather we have something that side-steps the need for futher USE flag abuse, and
15 made testing flags only visible to users who were *actually* doing testing.
16
17 Something akin to USE_EXPAND but just for test flags seems pertinent.
18
19 Because there's plenty of *other* classes of testing options that we might want
20 in the future.
21
22 For instance, regression tests, which by necessity create circular dependencies, *should* be
23 a visible option.
24
25 And I can imagine something like TESTS="-* gentoo" being something that could eventually come into
26 existence, which would be a flag that toggled on gentoo supplied tests.
27
28 Large complex tools like databases also need graduated control of tests, because
29 the current approach is very much "all or nothing" most of the time, when in reality:
30
31 -> I want to run *some* sensible tests for all packages
32 -> But I don't want to be running test suites that could run for 50+ hours ( sys-libs/db )
33
34 But for people who don't use FEATURES=test, none of those toggles should be something they even
35 have to know about, the flags should simply evaporate without it.
36
37 And TEST-specific flags should be discouraged from RDEPEND, just like "test" is.
38
39 TEST-specific flags in DEPEND is also somewhat dubious when it comes to --with-beps=y
40
41 I think in the long term, I'd want a TDEPEND or something instead.
42
43 I know you're vying for "a small incremental step that just fixes this one niche",
44 but this is basically a problem that's been known ( at least by me ) for many years,
45 and we're in growing need of a real solution, not a small incremental hack that is
46 a disservice to the future we know exists.