From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: qa <qa@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Providing consistent means to enable tests requiring Internet access
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:14:46
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 Per long-standing unwritten (or rather, written but not really
4 officially approved) policy unmasked ebuilds are not allowed to fiddle
5 with Internet. While this normally makes a lot of sense (except for
6 special cases like live ebuilds), this also means that for some poorly
7 written packages we end up either disabling a fair number of tests, or
8 even restricting tests completely.
9
10 The Internet-based tests are of course mostly unreliable in the long
11 run, and should normally be replaced by some kind of mocking, local
12 servers etc., we simply do not have the manpower to fix all
13 the packages. All we can do is disable them.
14
15 Sadly, for some packages this means that we're left with no tests at
16 all. As developers, we can play around to run the tests manually, or
17 comment out needed ebuild bits for extra local testing. However, I think
18 it would make our work easier if we had a more uniform solutions for
19 detecting whenever the developer needs to disable networked tests,
20 and how to enable them.
21
22 The obvious solution would be to use a global USE flag with explanatory
23 description for that. For example:
24
25 internet-test - Enable running tests that access the Internet. Those
26 tests can be unreliable, result in data transfer fees and cause privacy
27 concerns (potentially exposing which packages are being installed). Use
28 at your own discretion.
31 The advantages of that would be:
32
33 a. tests requiring Internet are exposed in the standard ebuild metadata,
34 making it easy to grab it using standard tools,
35
36 b. those tests can easily be enabled, and that fact is recorded
37 in the installed package metadata,
38
39 c. the flag can easily be used in RESTRICT="" constraint to easily
40 disable all the tests.
41
42 The disadvantage is that we're introducing yet another special flag that
43 does not affect installed files.
46 What do you think? Any other ideas?
50 Best regards,
51 Michał Górny