From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GIT vs? SVN (was: Re: Re: [RFC] Some sync control)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:50:45
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 23:37 +0100, Markus Ullmann wrote:
4 >> So to avoid thread hijacking, starting a new one.
5 >
6 > What exactly is this thread you are starting about? Just letting us know
7 > you did some random testing?
8 >
9 I think this is a reference to news:200701112229.58538.peper@g.o
10 where I was asking about what would be a good distributed scm. Thanks for
11 testing jokey.
12
13 There was a massive thread on the git/bzr lists which marienz pointed out,
14 which has TBH given me a massive headache ;) The gist of what I read was
15 that both use UUIDs, but bzr leans towards local rev ids for styles of
16 development where full distribution is not required (ie star topographies.)
17 Additionally, bzr makes a new rev every time there is a merge, even if
18 nothing has changed.
19
20 I like the bzr approach of providing a framework, but I guess I'm still
21 leaning towards git, as I'm not really after a framework per se. So it's
22 good to know you can set up a repo which will commit to a svn parent.
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list