From: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <gentoo@×××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] lua.eclass
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 07:54:34
1 Thanks a lot for your review work and critics.
2
3 Just 2 cents as comments about "why the hell is going on":
4
5 > It looks like a terrible masterpiece combination of base.eclass with
6 python.eclass
7
8 Actually, ruby-ng + python + some of that opera. And all of them was
9 (actually, still) huge monsters with tons of magic.
10
11 I mean, the eclass (in my point of view, not really counted LOC) is 70% copied
12 from ruby-ng/python eclasses, 10% "unneded" magic crap and 20% is my own work.
13
14 And main target was to... Just to write less code in the ebuilds and let
15 eclass do all the magic, like ruby/perl/python/php eclsses does.
18 > Kill it with fire. Start over. Focus on Lua. Stop reinventing
19 > everything else, and attempting to convert ebuilds into some terrible
20 > openrc-class semi-broken declarative crap which attempts to guess what
21 > the developer meant.
22
23 Ok, I'll try. Although, I guess, I then fail to reach the target of having
24 less code in the ebuilds as a price of being done in a right way :)
25
26 And I want to mention just once more time, that actual target was to have as
27 less code in ebuilds as possible, like it is for ruby-ng, perl and python
28 packages. But it seems, I turned in wrong direction somewhere.
29
30 === semiofftopic ===
31
32 By the way, some packages authors doing monster buildsystems which is non
33 intended to work with distro's package managers, and says users must use
34 language-specific package manager (gem,pip,luarocks,whatever), which is fully
35 supported by them.
36
37 And if previously I was supporting the point that langname-modules should be
38 installed system-wide through portage, then now (after having tons of sex with
39 their buildsystems just to make it to obey gentoo's practice (say, like not
40 doing network operations during src_prepare/configure/compile)) I'm in doubts.
41
46 wbr,
47 mva