From: "Gökdeniz Karadağ" <gokdenizk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: removal of <net-print/foo2zjs-99999999 (earlier versions are fubar)
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 17:08:03
1 On 02-06-2011 18:20, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > I'd like to remove<net-print/foo2zjs-99999999. Non-live versions are
3 > severely outdated (2008) and unusable (upstream changes tarballs
4 > in-place, digest verification is broken).
5 >
6 > The upstream doesn't support snapshots of the tarball, and claims the
7 > auxiliary files cannot be redistributed.
8 >
9 > I think the best course of action is to leave just the live ebuild (I'm
10 > using it on one system that has a printer that requires it).
11 >
12 > If there are no objections, I'm going to make the change. My guess is
13 > that most people don't care about this abandoned package, and the people
14 > who are using it will appreciate removal of the brokenness.
17 I use the foo2zjs package, and because other versions are broken, have
18 moved to the live version. But I think expecting a stable version in the
19 tree is not too much for a user. A tarball snapshot in a ~dev space
20 would solve the issue I presume.
21
22 Further problems with the current live ebuild are as follows. It seems
23 that I have forgotten to file bugs about these issues previously.
24 * Does not install PPD files (bug #369819)
25 * Does not use FOO2ZJS_DEVICES from previous versions, thus downloads
26 lots of tar files multiple times. (bug #369821)
27
28 Existance of previous ebuilds *currently*; allows for comparison,
29 detection, and hopefully fixing of these issues.
32 Gökdeniz Karadağ