From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:24:51
On 03/15/2012 07:20, Stelian Ionescu wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 00:29 +0000, David Leverton wrote: >> On 14 March 2012 23:44, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote: >>> Oh, and somehow "consensus" will work? No, sorry, it will not. >> >> No, logical analysis will, as I said in the rest of my post which you >> conveniently ignored - either we conclude with evidence that there are >> no issues, which should settle the matter for reasonable people, or we >> discover that there are, in which case they have to be dealt with one >> way or another. I really don't see how anyone can object to that, >> unless they're worried they won't like the result.... >> >>> How about the basic FACT that today, such systems do not work >> >> This is debatable at best. You can keep screaming "but bluetooth >> won't work!" until you're blue in the face, but that's not relevant at >> all to people who don't use bluetooth. > > That's true, but given the need to have a "one size fits all" boot > system(for obvious practical reasons), such boot system needs to work > with bluetooth input devices
With Gentoo, that's really only for the preliminary installation. Once you get the system up and running, you're free to modify it in whatever way pleases you. For binary distributions, especially those that deal in the enterprise sector, the one-size-fits-all approach is damn near mandatory because most admins run with the distro-provided kernel and typically are not custom compiling them. But we're not a binary distro. We're a source-based distro, although it's possible to run Gentoo in a binary fashion. As such, we're not necessarily beholden to the "one-size-fits-all" approach. -- Joshua Kinard Gentoo/MIPS kumba@g.o 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between." --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic