From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: addition of virtual/fonts package
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 03:22:54
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:03:53PM -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > I'm thinking that a virtual/fonts package would be a good addition to the
3 > tree. We have hit this issue in Gentoo Prefix where any font package would
4 > satisfy a dependency. I also have an open bug where a package depends on
5 > corefonts but the reporter has stated that another fonts package will work.
6 > Frankly, I would rather *not* depend on the proprietary M$ fonts, myself.
7 > So my proposal would be to make every fonts package satisfy some virtual
8 > and then other packages can depend on that virtual to satisfy the need for
9 > *some* fonts. I just don't have a game plan for the best way to do it.
10 Is a single virtual sufficient? Some years ago I pondered having
11 virtuals for some of the combinations of fonts:
12 - format: truetype, T1, pcf, bdf
13 - serif, sans serif
14 - monospace, variable width
17 Robin Hugh Johnson
18 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
19 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
20 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85