From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI 3 PMS Draft
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:03:20
1 Hi,
2
3 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
4
5 > On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 04:12:02 +0300
6 > Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
7 > > It is quite irresponsible to enable that by default for the FULL
8 > > user base, given the state of the tree in regards to it
9 >
10 > Which is why we are not talking about enabling it for the tree. We are
11 > talking about enabling it for a subset of the tree that's guaranteed
12 > to have been tested by it.
13
14 Some years ago as a Gentoo beginner I read the documentation of
15 FEATURES and enabled "test", because it sounded useful. After one week
16 I disabled it again as merges took too long and some failures occured.
17 Read: As a normal user I don't want src_test for every single package
18 that is installed on my system for whatever reason. FEATURES=test is
19 perfect for people who help maintain the distribution or want to test a
20 specific subset of packages they heavily rely on.
21 So imposing that penalty on everyone even the unexperienced will
22 likely confuse some people. Go to the forums or the support mailing
23 list to see what I mean.
24
25 V-Li
28 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
29 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
30
31 <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>