From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stabilization commits and atomicity
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 17:14:06
1 On 10/19/2015 07:08 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Ahh, so what you're referring to here is stabilization of multiple
5 >> unrelated packages in a single commit.. ok.. i'm not so
6 >> comfortable with that idea..
7 >
8 > Nor am I. A commit should be a set of related changes. Stabilizing
9 > all of KDE-n in one commit makes a lot of sense. Stabilizing 5 random
10 > packages in one commit doesn't make sense. By all means push them all
11 > at once, but don't commit them all at once. It isn't like we have to
12 > pay for each commit.
15 We already know that. But if e.g. ago runs his scripts at 00:00 with
16 ~300 packages stabilized, the history (without git command line) on
17 github/gitweb will be fun to read (and people DO that).
18
19 The argument is that those are related changes to the subsystem "stable
20 arch" (and affect not random ebuild details, but stable arch only, as in
21 KEYWORDS). Ofc, people can still create atomic commits if the
22 stabilization is security related.