From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stabilization commits and atomicity
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 17:37:40
1 On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 1:13 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > We already know that. But if e.g. ago runs his scripts at 00:00 with
4 > ~300 packages stabilized, the history (without git command line) on
5 > github/gitweb will be fun to read (and people DO that).
8 It doesn't seem like it would have been any better in the cvs days,
9 but I guess that isn't a reason to reject this on its own.
10
11 If this was about changing the copyright headers in all the ebuilds in
12 the tree I'd say that this is a million related trivial changes that
13 can be merged. Nobody needs to see that in the history broken out.
14
15 However, stabilizing a single package really is an impactful change.
16 The fact that you're doing 100 of them at one time doesn't really
17 diminish the impact of each one. Any of them could break a system or
18 need to be reverted.
19
20 If they're being done at once because they're all part of some library
21 stabilization then I'd combine them into a commit, because they are
22 actually related.
23
24 Maybe what is needed is better tools for tagging/filtering history?
27 Rich