From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 20:08:43
1 On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 01:41:24 PM William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 1:22:07 PM EST Michael Mol wrote:
3 > > If Gentoo wants to do it internally, that's one thing.
4 >
5 > This list is about Gentoo internal things
6
7 Here, let me bring up a bit of recent history from your Message-ID
8 <assp.0140865882.25530652.rRlbQJgv4Y@wlt>, which had a signature of
9 iEYEABECAAYFAlg8iAQACgkQTXGypIOqM1A2EgCglmZkNYaJ16qQkSxezTqCtI4/
10 PwoAnR2dW0XUFZk8QUmgrVwu+3OpRxS+
11 =tuat, which my client indicated matched the key
12 0xC47A576A663995BADF1B54724D71B2A483AA3350, but I don't have your key trusted,
13 so whatever:
14
15 > I believe the main reason such is the case is a lack of any such list or
16 > database for others to adhere to. Once again an area Gentoo could be
17 > leading.
18 > Had Gentoo done this years ago others might have adopted.
19
20 > IMHO it is something that should be a part of LSB. If not POSIX in general.
21 > One cannot really change the past or current state of things. But can make
22 the future better.
23
24 > For now who cares about other OS or distros. If Gentoo gets its house in
25 > order
26 > others may follow.
27
28 I will note that it's this point when I first replied; that was the point when
29 you chose to expand the scope outside Gentoo.
32 > > But I would recommend
33 > > against inviting other distributions to use Gentoo's list, which was
34 > > something you seemed to be suggesting. Doing so asks that Gentoo shoulder
35 > > the bureaucratic load from other distributions that want things added to
36 > > Gentoo's list.
37 >
38 > Gentoo cannot force others to do anything.
39
40 I didn't say force. I said invite.
41
42 > If Gentoo is leading in a
43 > direction, others choose to follow or not. Gentoo does not set standards
44 > that would be up to LSB and/or POSIX.
45 >
46 > My point is Gentoo should do its own thing, lead the way. Ideally others
47 > follow and it becomes a standard either in LSB or POSIX. Hopefully that will
48 > clarify my position.
49
50 As you noted, Arch appeared to attempt this, and others did not follow.
53 > > If you want to tie this specifically to Gentoo packaging, that's fine.
54 >
55 > Which is why it is being discussed on a Gentoo development list and not
56 > others.
57
58 That's fine. As I pointed out, I only started chiming in when you began
59 advocating exporting Gentoo's list to a broader ecosystem.
60
61 [snip]
62
63 > > > This is not needless bureaucracy , this is necessary.
64 > >
65 > > Opinion. Why is it necessary? What is it necessary for?
66 >
67 > It is necessary so Gentoo base system installs are consistent from one
68 > system to the next, Just as RHEL and Debian, and likely others. When
69 > working with large amounts of installs, You want them all to be the same or
70 > as close to identical as possible. Thus the rise of Docker, CoreOS, etc.
71
72 If RHEL and Debian are consistent from one system to the next, obviously it's
73 sensical to use their list. But why don't they use each others? Or am I
74 missing something, and that's exactly what they're doing?
77 > > Oh, I understand the problem, but you haven't explained why your solution
78 > > is the necessary solution to it, or how you would cope with the plethora
79 > > of edge cases I brought up. It would seem there are already many
80 > > established workarounds for the status quo, unstable-UID/GID in a
81 > > cross-system context.
82 > My solution is to avoid such issues. I start with a common base image. I try
83 > to ensure anything else installed beyond that, which adds new users/groups
84 > is the same. At times I will re-image and use that as well for other
85 > similar systems. Rather than mess with doing the same install to many and
86 > trying to sync UID/GID.
87 >
88 > Think cloning rather than installing.
89
90 Sure. But if you clone a seed node, does it matter that a second from-scratch
91 install may not have the same mapping?
92
93 [snip]
94
95 > > Less bad if you intend to keep it unique to
96 > > Gentoo, but the broader you make the scope, the more strain you'll put on
97 > > the ecosystem as a whole.
98 >
99 > Standards need to exist so there is consistency. In the absence of said
100 > standard, next best thing you can do is look to what others are doing and do
101 > the same. Thus I tend to say go with RedHat UID/GID over say Arch, maybe
102 > even Debian. But those two likely have larger install bases than most any
103 > other distro. If the UID/GID are the same between RedHat and Debian, that
104 > already makes a good deal of systems consistent now.
105
106 If UID/GID are consistent between RH and Debian, then yeah, what you have is a
107 de facto standard, and it would be reasonable to conform, if there are people
108 who actually have a need for that cross-system mirroring.
111 > > More daemons will be build that are intended to
112 > > run as local users. More software will be pushed into opaque blobs a la
113 > > Snap and Flatpack.
114 >
115 > I am talking about core system accounts
116
117 Who decides what qualifies as a core system account?
118
119 If there's any trend I've been able to clearly observe over the last fifteen
120 years, it's the grinding of such boundaries into finer and finer granularity.
121 Heck, I think there was a thread on gentoo-user some time in the last few
122 months where someone wanted to be able to use two different MTAs on the same
123 host! (Obviously, he couldn't, but he had a use case.)
124
125 Heck, some time five or six years ago, I filed a bug report asking that some
126 core package (maybe it was gcc?) have its build dependencies properly defined.
127 I was told that wasn't going to happen, as doing that for all the core
128 packages would be too difficult or some such; their dependencies would be left
129 coarse. And now we've had threads in the last few months touching on resolving
130 that very thing.
133 > > As a general rule, the bigger the hassle you make something, the less
134 > > people will want to engage.
135 >
136 > When standards exist, others will follow, ideally. When standards do not
137 > exist, everyone is left to their own way of doing things. IMHO it is less of
138 > a hassle to comply with standards than all the various ways of doing
139 > something.
140
141 For the packager, for sure. For developers trying to make new things, not so
142 much.
145 :wq