From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 01:31:24
1 On 05/15/13 20:20, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 02:18:13PM -0400, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
3 >> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 03:41:31PM +0200, Fabio Erculiani wrote
4 >>> Are we realizing that in order to keep systemd out of our way, we're
5 >>> currently writing and maintaining drop-in replacements for the
6 >>> features that systemd is already providing in an actively maintained
7 >>> state? openrc-settingsd was the first thing that we as Gentoo
8 >>> developers (Pacho?) had to write in order to merge GNOME 3.6 into our
9 >>> tree.
10 >>
11 >> So Redhat, who are heavily into GNOME
12 >> ( http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Red_Hat_contributions#GNOME_developers )
13 >> decided to make GNOME depend on other Redhat-developed software (systemd
14 >> and pulseadio). Well... like... dohhhh...
15 >>
16 >> Question... when Sun made OpenOffice depend on Java (also a Sun
17 >> product) did Gentoo developers run around suggesting that Java be made a
18 >> part of the core Gentoo base system? I don't think so. If a user wants
19 >> to run GNOME badly enough, he'll switch to systemd. I don't see why the
20 >> rest of us (i.e. non-users of GNOME) should have to follow along and
21 >> reconfigure our systems. This is a case of the tail wagging the dog.
22 >
23 > I don't interpret what he is saying that way. I think what he is
24 > talking about is that we are trying to get teams to support non-systemd
25 > setups when upstreams do not, like with gnome.
26 >
27 > Gnome now has a hard dependency on systemd (for gnome newer than 3.8).
28 > Some folks want to use gnome without systemd and are putting that under
29 > the gentoo is about choice banner and want us to support them.
30 >
31 >>> So what do we want to do then? Isolate from the rest of the world?
32 >>> (It's not a sarcastic question). I hope that everybody does their
33 >>> own reality check.
34 >>
35 >> You are effectively calling not-using-GNOME isolationist. Let's just
36 >> say I disagree with you on that. BTW, see my sig.
37 >
38 > See above.
39 >
40 > William
41 >
42 If upstream gnome has that dep on systemd then I kinda think we should
43 too (technical decision, not one I like personally)
46 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)