From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ACCEPT_RESTRICT for questionable values of RESTRICT
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:45:24
1 On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 19:06 +0100, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni napsal(a):
3 > > Uhh... you missed RESTRICT=userpriv and the upcoming RESTRICT=unattended
4 > > when calling for no "ACCEPT_RESTRICT"...
5 >
6 > Don't see how's userpriv related here; also the original idea was to
7 > stick FEATURES=unattended (or non-interactive or whatever else) into
8 > portage, instead of inventing new variables to handle this, AFAICR.
9
10 Wow.
11
12 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0052.html
13
14 The name of the GLEP is even RESTRICT=unattended... not
15 FEATURES=unattended...
16
17 Now, let's try to make this as absolutely clear as possible.
18
19 I am a user. I don't want any of my compiles executing with elevated
20 privileges. I have FEATURES=userpriv. Package foo has
21 RESTRICT=userpriv. I don't have ACCEPT_RESTRICT=userpriv. When I try
22 to install package foo, it fails, because I don't want to allow
23 RESTRICT=userpriv.
24
25 Now, let's try the other. I am a user. I have games-fps/ut2004-data
26 installed. The package has the new RESTRICT=unattended in the ebuild.
27 I do not have ACCEPT_RESTRICT=unattended. I do an emerge --sync &&
28 emerge -vuDN world... but there's a problem! There's a new revision of
29 games-fps/ut2004-data that would require me to pull out my DVD in the
30 middle of my emerge. Well, no problem. Instead of the current
31 behavior, portage ignores the package/dies/whatever to let me know it
32 cannot complete properly without my interaction.
35 Chris Gianelloni
36 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
37 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
38 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
39 Gentoo Foundation