From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] `paludis --info' is not like `emerge --info'
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:56:02
1 On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 23:50:07 +0200
2 Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > Taking any of it out would be
5 > > removing things that are required to determine the cause of a bug.
6 >
7 > I doubt that's true in most cases: The information needed to
8 > finding the bug is a (possibly small) subset of the whole.
9
10 Yes, but the computer doesn't know which subset it is, just like it
11 doesn't know which subset of emerge --info is useful. There's nothing
12 in there that's never relevant.
13
14 > I don't see how additionally providing a stripped down version of
15 > paludis info hurts anybody, as the subset either holds what the
16 > wrangler needs or it doesn't, in which case they can still request
17 > more information for the reporter.
18
19 Or we could just provide the information the wrangler will need
20 straight away. Much easier.
21
22 > I suggest that you take this as a usability request from the users
23 > of your software. Isn't that a great chance to make several people
24 > happier every day in the future by just a few lines of code on your
25 > end? Would they raise their voice if it did not matter?
26
27 This isn't a usability request. Making the "use paludis --info cat/pkg"
28 text stand out more was a usability request, and I was happy to make
29 that change. This is a few noxious trolls whining in an attempt to cause
30 trouble.
33 Ciaran McCreesh