From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Council Reminder for June 11
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 06:31:30
1 Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o> posted
2 1244672807.6190.35.camel@××××××××××××××××.de, excerpted below, on Thu, 11
3 Jun 2009 00:26:47 +0200:
4
5 >> * The Council votes for final approval, pending Portage implementation.
6 >
7 > Looks good so far.
8 >
9 >> * Portage implements it in ~arch. People start using it in ~arch.
10 >
11 > I'd propose: Portage implements it in ~arch. People can start using it
12 > in overlays.
13
14 The problem with that is that it's a NOOP. People can use whatever they
15 want in overlays, already, a feature that's a good part of their
16 dynamic. Thus, "can start using it in overlays" is entirely meaningless.
17
18 Now one could add the single word "official" in there, as in "official
19 overlays", defining that term much as layman does. (Actually, it appears
20 the layman manpage uses the terms "fully supported" and "non-official",
21 not specifically the term "official", altho the contrasting "non-
22 official" does have the implication of making "fully supported" overlays
23 synonymous with "official overlays".)
24
25 >> * Portage goes stable. People are allowed to start using it in stable
26 >> for things that aren't deps of anything super-critical.
27 >
28 > I'd propose: Portage goes stable. 4 Weeks thereafter people are allowed
29 > to start using it for things that aren't deps of anything
30 > super-critical.
31
32 Question. Was the omission of a specific ~arch allowed step deliberate?
33 You went from "allowed in overlays" to "allowed in stable", without a
34 stop in ~arch. Either it was deliberate and an reason would have been
35 useful, or it was simply overlooked.
36
37 (FWIW, a policy that ~arch portage of an approved EAPI allows ~arch
38 packages, stable portage allows stable packages, but with the cost of
39 putting it in ~arch before stable portage has it stated explicitly --
40 that anyone choosing to do so should be prepared to revert to a previous
41 EAPI should a security bump require it before portage stabilizes -- that
42 sort of policy works for me. Problems we've had can thus be explained as
43 not making that cost of following ~arch portage with ~arch packages
44 explicit, I believe, so make it explicit and let the maintainers then
45 choose based on that. Perhaps add the additional caveat that it may ONLY
46 be done with the signoff of a backup maintainer and/or the supporting
47 project as well, in the hopefully unusual case that the maintainer that
48 did the conversion goes MIA when a security bug comes up to press the
49 matter, so there's always someone else that understands the situation
50 well enough to handle the revert to a stable EAPI as necessary. However
51 that's not a strongly held position and doesn't mean I oppose the above,
52 only that I'd like clarification thereof.)
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman