From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2013-01-08
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 18:06:38
1 Am Freitag, 28. Dezember 2012, 11:19:23 schrieb Michał Górny:
2 >
3 > I don't think we can really avoid having the current 'base' profile,
4 > and I don't think that we should even try doing that. As far as I can
5 > see, the idea would be to mask the flags completely in base profile,
6 > and unmask in *stable.mask files. Do I get it correctly?
7
8 [see also attached modified graphs]
9
10 The idea would be *for the transition period*: have an additional directory
11 base5, which contains eapi=5, the stable mask files and nothing else.
12
13 After the transition period, these files are merged into the main profile
14 directory, the base5 directory is removed from inheritance and deleted.
15
16 During the transition period, an old installation using deprecated 10.0
17 profile will "not see the stable mask files", which means the additional
18 useflag restrictions are just not enforced. Repoman will check against non-
19 deprecated profiles, which means it uses the 13.0 path.
20
21 [Given the position in the depgraph, maybe a different name instead of base5
22 would make sense. I just wanted to stick to the description from the last e-
23 mail.]
26 Andreas K. Huettel
27 Gentoo Linux developer
28 dilfridge@g.o