From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: dilfridge@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2013-01-08
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:06:32
1 On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:06:02 +0100
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Am Freitag, 28. Dezember 2012, 11:19:23 schrieb Michał Górny:
5 > >
6 > > I don't think we can really avoid having the current 'base' profile,
7 > > and I don't think that we should even try doing that. As far as I can
8 > > see, the idea would be to mask the flags completely in base profile,
9 > > and unmask in *stable.mask files. Do I get it correctly?
10 >
11 > [see also attached modified graphs]
12 >
13 > The idea would be *for the transition period*: have an additional directory
14 > base5, which contains eapi=5, the stable mask files and nothing else.
15 >
16 > After the transition period, these files are merged into the main profile
17 > directory, the base5 directory is removed from inheritance and deleted.
18 >
19 > During the transition period, an old installation using deprecated 10.0
20 > profile will "not see the stable mask files", which means the additional
21 > useflag restrictions are just not enforced. Repoman will check against non-
22 > deprecated profiles, which means it uses the 13.0 path.
23
24 Well, I guess it's acceptable. I think it's fine assuming that stable
25 users don't enable flags relevant to packages not being stable.
26
27 > [Given the position in the depgraph, maybe a different name instead of base5
28 > would make sense. I just wanted to stick to the description from the last e-
29 > mail.]
30
31 I agree.
34 Best regards,