From: Olivier Fisette <ribosome@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 02:31:13
On Tuesday, 6 September 2005 12:19 pm, Deedra Waters wrote:
> The only thing i really > want to change, is that i think that a commitee of say 3 to 5 > people handles a complaint from beginning to end.
I am very surprised that you suggest merging the investigative and judiciary branches of devrel, and I am firmly opposed to that. It was discussed and agreed upon that having the same persons fulfilling both roles was a conflict of interest and should be avoided whenever possible. Michael's proposal, which we voted on just a few months ago, was all about this separation of power, and Paul just illustrated why having someone both policing and judging can lead to abuse. You now suggest going back (in some ways) to how things were done before, even though devrel was blamed for the way the last incident was handled, and even though the separation of devrel in two groups was suggested to help avoiding abuse and lack of transparency. The reason you give for undoing this change is having two separate groups is too complicated. You say this even though the system has not yet been tested for more than a few months, and even though you said yourself that this whole procedure is very seldom needed, and thus does not require an important amount of the developers' every day work. As for the suggestion that the council is there to appeal should devrel abuse its power, I would rather we design our structure to make it work correctly in the first place rather than rely on someone else correcting our mistakes. An appeal to the council should be considered an exceptional procedure, and if the council ever has to overrule devrel, this would imply devrel has utterly failed to do its job properly. (And devrel would be in for another well-deserved backlash.) Regards, -- Olivier Fisette (ribosome) Gentoo Linux Developer Scientific applications, Developer relations