From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: Pentoo-installer
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:16:57
1 On 11/01/13 10:01, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > But a large
4 > company would be insane to touch zfs on Linux, as would any binary-
5 > distributing entity large enough to get on the legal radar, and that's
6 > apparently /exactly/ how Oracle wants to keep things, so here we are...
7
8 GREAT to KNOW! Sure I've read snippets all over the place, but you have
9 just framed the current state (in truth) as I (many?) have not
10 comprehended before. So I shall play with ZFS and ext4 for now, waiting
11 on BTRFS to become more stable; using the pentoo-installer.
14 Another point of curiousity. If ZFS was forgone, which Pentoo does not
15 offer in the pentoo-installer, and instead use ext4 for now, what would
16 be the problems with Pentoo, especially if the install media was to
17 include the sources (along with the binaries) within the liveDVD iso ?
20 And I did not intend to infer that Gentoo should do this, just some
21 users on whatever wiki, to first prove out the concept. That said,
22 having the wisdom of folks, steeped in these murky issues, does help
23 others to understand and find work around for the userland folks.
26 Also, it seems curious that the last liveDVD was built on ZFSOnLinux;
27 curious to have you clear up that misconception I have on ZFS legalities
28 related to Gentoo. It's my current favorite liveDVD.
29
30 [1] livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-20121221.iso
31
32 James