From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: Pentoo-installer
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 14:02:15
1 wireless posted on Fri, 01 Nov 2013 08:12:09 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 11/01/13 01:42, Duncan wrote:
4 >
5 >> [Wireless posted...]
6 >>
7 >>> The only problem I see [with the pentoo installer] is that it
8 >>> does not offer ZFS in the menu during installation.
9 >>
10 >> AFAIK once you start shipping binaries (as an installer with that
11 >> choice would be doing) you end up in a legal gray area due to
12 >> Sun-now-Oracle's refusal to GPL the ZFS code. Some would therefore
13 >> consider that lack a feature, not a bug.[3] =:^)
14 >
15 > This would only be the initial install. Once you issue "emerge --sync"
16 > does it not pull down sources?
17
18 But if those sources aren't GPL compatible (and they aren't), at least
19 with the kernel module zfs, there's still a potential GPL violation if a
20 binary is distributed. A /user/ is free to do whatever they want to
21 their own machine, including building/linking/running GPL and GPL
22 incompatible sources, but once they distribute that binary, they're no
23 longer just a user and run afoul of the gpl due to that binary
24 distribution, regardless of whether sources are available for both the GPL
25 side and the other side, or not.
26
27 That in general gentoo only distributes build-scripts which pull down
28 sources which are then built, NOT executable binaries, generally keeps
29 gentoo out of legal hot water in a number of areas including both gpl
30 binary-distribution violations and potential patent issues that the
31 binary distros have to deal with. But distributing an installer with the
32 binaries is an exception to the general gentoo rule, since it /does/
33 involve distributing executable binaries, and as such, there are far more
34 legal restrictions, both in terms of GPLed binaries, and for anything
35 (like the various media codecs, tho fortunately they're not normally on a
36 simple installer, but they COULD be in package disc images!) a patent is
37 known to cover.
38
39 Of course to the best of my knowledge, pentoo is independent of gentoo
40 and thus we wouldn't be directly affected. Were it to ship zfs in the
41 installer, the potential gpl violation wouldn't be our legal problem, but
42 theirs. Still, it's nothing we should be encouraging.
43
44 Of course there's also the zfs-fuse project, userspace zfs, that is AFAIK
45 entirely compatible with the kernel's gpl due to the long accepted
46 userspace waiver (and I know of no other userspace gpl style problems it
47 has, AFAIK it's legal worry free, to the extent /any/ software is at
48 least, in this day of software patents). But AFAIK it's significantly
49 slower and has other limitations related to the fact that it runs in
50 userspace.
51
52 The more political side is that thru its failure to GPL that code despite
53 repeated requests, Sun/Oracle has made it *VERY* clear they have no
54 interest in supporting fully legal Linux use. They'd rather it remain a
55 legal gray area, thus encouraging at least the corporate types with lots
56 of money to lose if there's a battle and it goes wrong, to either stay
57 away from zfs on Linux, or preferably, to choose Solaris instead. And
58 there could /well/ be such a battle, which could become VERY costly for
59 those involved regardless of which side "wins". That's one lesson the
60 formerly Linux friendly Caldera, later evolved into the SCO Group, made
61 *VERY* clear.
62
63 That's why zfs remains such a "third rail" untouchable to many in the
64 community. Individual users who don't have much to lose and could switch
65 to something other than zfs reasonably quickly if they had to, can do the
66 build-your-own that the GPL freely allows as long as you don't
67 distribute, and that the zfs license either allows or that Oracle
68 currently tolerates (I'm not sure which) and be fine. But a large
69 company would be insane to touch zfs on Linux, as would any binary-
70 distributing entity large enough to get on the legal radar, and that's
71 apparently /exactly/ how Oracle wants to keep things, so here we are...
76 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman