From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Why do we run all commands as root in docs?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:52:48
On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 02:28:58PM +0200, Łukasz Damentko wrote:
> Now situation looks really strange. We encourage users not to use root > account in security docs, but all over our place, in every code > listing, we have root prompt ("#") which suggests users to use that > account to perform all the actions. > > My idea is that we should use "$" - user prompt - whereever command can > be or should be run as normal user.
Like Xavier said, most documents have ~# or # because they talk about configuration settings. However, when possible, we should indeed use ~$ or $ instead. Wkr, Sven Vermeulen -- Gentoo Foundation Trustee | http://foundation.gentoo.org Gentoo Documentation Project Lead | http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp Gentoo Council Member The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>