From: "Łukasz Damentko" <rane@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Why do we run all commands as root in docs?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:34:07

Greetings,

I'm not filing a bug but writing here, because i think that this case
needs policy change and some discussion in the team before that as it
will lead to really lots of fixing in our docs.

Now situation looks really strange. We encourage users not to use root
account in security docs, but all over our place, in every code
listing, we have root prompt ("#") which suggests users to use that
account to perform all the actions.

My idea is that we should use "$" - user prompt - whereever command can
be or should be run as normal user.

Example?

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-tipsntricks.xml:

# wget http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/doc-snapshots/docs-latest-en.tar.bz2

Why we should download it as root? Why not just:

$ wget http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/doc-snapshots/docs-latest-en.tar.bz2?

For me, it could reduce bad behaviour of doing simple commands as root,
which is not needed and should be avoided as much as possible.

Of course i know that when all our docs contain such prompts, fixing it
would cost lots of resources and can accept if you refuse due to that.

I also know that users don't have to be informed what those strange
prompt signs (#, $) mean, but that can be easily solved with small note
in index.xml files.

I'm waiting for your opinions.

with kind regards,

£ukasz Damentko