From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Moving the handbooks to the wiki
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 17:45:03
1 On 12/13/2014 12:32 PM, Joseph Jezak wrote:
2 > On 12/12/2014 09:53 AM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 02:40:06PM +0000, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
4 >>> I've made a page [1] on our project wiki space about the handbook
5 >>> development on the Wiki. It covers
6 >>> - how the architecture consolidation is done (the alternative of the
7 >>> GuideXML "include" elements to tie architecture-specific and
8 >>> architecture-agnostic information together)
9 >>> - how the parameters (the //value/key stuff in our main handbook
10 >>> XMLs) are
11 >>> used on the wiki
12 >>> - pointers about translating the handbook on the wiki
13 >>>
14 >>> [1]
15 >>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Documentation/HandbookDevelopment
16 >>>
17 >>> I have also copied the AMD64 handbook [2] (the one I have the most
18 >>> affinity
19 >>> with) already to the wiki to see how things work out. For now,
20 >>> everything is
21 >>> still marked with "Work in Progress". I am only going to remove that
22 >>> the
23 >>> moment that the XML files have been updated to point to the Wiki so
24 >>> that
25 >>> users are "less confused" about what handbook is now the active one.
26 >>>
27 >>> [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
28 >>>
29 >>> Comments are always welcome. During the copy, I do notice that there
30 >>> is some
31 >>> outdated information in the non-installation part of the handbook
32 >>> (perhaps
33 >>> also in the installation part, but that I can't tell for sure). I am
34 >>> *not*
35 >>> planning on fixing this before the wiki handbook goes live, although
36 >>> I do
37 >>> plan to update the handbook on the wiki afterwards.
38 >> Hi all
39 >>
40 >> The move, content-wise, is finished. The entry point for all handbooks
41 >> (where each individual architecture handbook is linked at) is at
42 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
43 >>
44 >> All architectural handbooks have been moved to the Gentoo Wiki
45 >> (except for
46 >> ARM as it was already marked as not up-to-date anymore). I did a quick
47 >> cross-check that there are no wrong blocks being included in the wrong
48 >> architecture, so things should work out fine.
49 >>
50 >> I also updated the book.dtd file so that in a few hours (days if people
51 >> start objecting) I can start updating the current handbooks to
52 >> redirect to
53 >> the wiki, as well as update the site links to the handbook to point
54 >> to the
55 >> wiki ones.
56 >>
57 >> I will also mail the gentoo-project mailinglist with information so
58 >> people
59 >> are aware of the coming change.
60 >>
61 >> Wkr,
62 >> Sven Vermeulen
63 >>
64 > One problem that I'm seeing is that it seems that some combination of
65 > characters seem to be getting converted into other characters, like
66 > fi, ff, etc. I don't mind editing them for the PPC handbook, but I was
67 > wondering if that was something you had caught and were fixing already.
68 >
69 Disregard this, sorry, I had a local issue.
70
71 -Joe