From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Moving the handbooks to the wiki
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 17:32:11
1 On 12/12/2014 09:53 AM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 02:40:06PM +0000, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
3 >> I've made a page [1] on our project wiki space about the handbook
4 >> development on the Wiki. It covers
5 >> - how the architecture consolidation is done (the alternative of the
6 >> GuideXML "include" elements to tie architecture-specific and
7 >> architecture-agnostic information together)
8 >> - how the parameters (the //value/key stuff in our main handbook XMLs) are
9 >> used on the wiki
10 >> - pointers about translating the handbook on the wiki
11 >>
12 >> [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Documentation/HandbookDevelopment
13 >>
14 >> I have also copied the AMD64 handbook [2] (the one I have the most affinity
15 >> with) already to the wiki to see how things work out. For now, everything is
16 >> still marked with "Work in Progress". I am only going to remove that the
17 >> moment that the XML files have been updated to point to the Wiki so that
18 >> users are "less confused" about what handbook is now the active one.
19 >>
20 >> [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
21 >>
22 >> Comments are always welcome. During the copy, I do notice that there is some
23 >> outdated information in the non-installation part of the handbook (perhaps
24 >> also in the installation part, but that I can't tell for sure). I am *not*
25 >> planning on fixing this before the wiki handbook goes live, although I do
26 >> plan to update the handbook on the wiki afterwards.
27 > Hi all
28 >
29 > The move, content-wise, is finished. The entry point for all handbooks
30 > (where each individual architecture handbook is linked at) is at
31 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
32 >
33 > All architectural handbooks have been moved to the Gentoo Wiki (except for
34 > ARM as it was already marked as not up-to-date anymore). I did a quick
35 > cross-check that there are no wrong blocks being included in the wrong
36 > architecture, so things should work out fine.
37 >
38 > I also updated the book.dtd file so that in a few hours (days if people
39 > start objecting) I can start updating the current handbooks to redirect to
40 > the wiki, as well as update the site links to the handbook to point to the
41 > wiki ones.
42 >
43 > I will also mail the gentoo-project mailinglist with information so people
44 > are aware of the coming change.
45 >
46 > Wkr,
47 > Sven Vermeulen
50 Hey Sven, awesome work, it really looks great on the wiki!
51
52 One problem that I'm seeing is that it seems that some combination of
53 characters seem to be getting converted into other characters, like fi,
54 ff, etc. I don't mind editing them for the PPC handbook, but I was
55 wondering if that was something you had caught and were fixing already.
56
57 Also, when would it be okay to update documentation again? I've got a
58 bunch of PPC fixes that I hadn't had a chance to update, the wiki
59 changeover seems like a good opportunity to brush everything up.
60
61 Thanks again for your work, this will make our docs better!
62 -Joe