From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Moving the handbooks to the wiki
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:53:30
1 On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 02:40:06PM +0000, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > I've made a page [1] on our project wiki space about the handbook
3 > development on the Wiki. It covers
4 > - how the architecture consolidation is done (the alternative of the
5 > GuideXML "include" elements to tie architecture-specific and
6 > architecture-agnostic information together)
7 > - how the parameters (the //value/key stuff in our main handbook XMLs) are
8 > used on the wiki
9 > - pointers about translating the handbook on the wiki
10 >
11 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Documentation/HandbookDevelopment
12 >
13 > I have also copied the AMD64 handbook [2] (the one I have the most affinity
14 > with) already to the wiki to see how things work out. For now, everything is
15 > still marked with "Work in Progress". I am only going to remove that the
16 > moment that the XML files have been updated to point to the Wiki so that
17 > users are "less confused" about what handbook is now the active one.
18 >
19 > [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
20 >
21 > Comments are always welcome. During the copy, I do notice that there is some
22 > outdated information in the non-installation part of the handbook (perhaps
23 > also in the installation part, but that I can't tell for sure). I am *not*
24 > planning on fixing this before the wiki handbook goes live, although I do
25 > plan to update the handbook on the wiki afterwards.
26
27 Hi all
28
29 The move, content-wise, is finished. The entry point for all handbooks
30 (where each individual architecture handbook is linked at) is at
31 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
32
33 All architectural handbooks have been moved to the Gentoo Wiki (except for
34 ARM as it was already marked as not up-to-date anymore). I did a quick
35 cross-check that there are no wrong blocks being included in the wrong
36 architecture, so things should work out fine.
37
38 I also updated the book.dtd file so that in a few hours (days if people
39 start objecting) I can start updating the current handbooks to redirect to
40 the wiki, as well as update the site links to the handbook to point to the
41 wiki ones.
42
43 I will also mail the gentoo-project mailinglist with information so people
44 are aware of the coming change.
45
46 Wkr,
47 Sven Vermeulen