From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Moving the handbooks to the wiki
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 01:23:06
1 On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 10:43:55AM +0000, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > Just a heads-up for everybody - more information will follow of course.
3 >
4 > I have started copying the Gentoo handbooks to the Gentoo Wiki. Through
5 > transclusion and semantic wiki, which is supported on Gentoo Wiki, we are
6 > able to do similar reuse of blocks for the architectures.
7 >
8 > Given the low resources we are currently having, I think the move to the
9 > wiki will help us with keeping the instructions up to date.
10 >
11 > For now, please do not touch anything in the "Handbook:" namespace of the
12 > wiki as I'm going through the effort of migrating it.
13 >
14 > Information on translations and so on will follow.
15
16 An update on this mini-project.
17
18 I've made a page [1] on our project wiki space about the handbook
19 development on the Wiki. It covers
20 - how the architecture consolidation is done (the alternative of the
21 GuideXML "include" elements to tie architecture-specific and
22 architecture-agnostic information together)
23 - how the parameters (the //value/key stuff in our main handbook XMLs) are
24 used on the wiki
25 - pointers about translating the handbook on the wiki
26
27 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Documentation/HandbookDevelopment
28
29 I have also copied the AMD64 handbook [2] (the one I have the most affinity
30 with) already to the wiki to see how things work out. For now, everything is
31 still marked with "Work in Progress". I am only going to remove that the
32 moment that the XML files have been updated to point to the Wiki so that
33 users are "less confused" about what handbook is now the active one.
34
35 [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
36
37 Comments are always welcome. During the copy, I do notice that there is some
38 outdated information in the non-installation part of the handbook (perhaps
39 also in the installation part, but that I can't tell for sure). I am *not*
40 planning on fixing this before the wiki handbook goes live, although I do
41 plan to update the handbook on the wiki afterwards.
42
43 Yes, that also means that the bugs that are currently reported against the
44 handbook will need to wait until the wiki move is done - I rather focus on
45 one thing at a time. And I think that the move to the wiki will also help us
46 in the sense that developers can then update the instructions themselves
47 rather than having to go through bugzilla to reach us/me. Efficiency++
48
49 Larger changes will of course be communicated and suggested up front on this
50 mailinglist.
51
52 Wkr,
53 Sven Vermeulen