From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] linking between portage and relevant documents
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:39:53
pclouds wrote:
> Hi, > While translating documents, i found that several documents have not > updated to reflect current packages in portage (sorry i forgot most of > them).
That's not very helpful then. If you find that a doc that needs to be fixed, it needs to be fixed, as simple as that. Please file a bug, a patch, send a mail, whatever.
> I would like to suggest making a link between a document and > relevant packages. Then we could encourage devs to check these > documents when they update packages and suggest doc team to fix docs. > It'd also be useful for users if we publish these info on > packages.g.o, show links to documents revelant to packages. > These info could be stored in package's metadata.xml (for example > alsa* package's metadata.xml would have a link to alsa-guide.xml). > Category's metadata.xml could be used too (for example, > sys-kernel/metadata.xml should contain a link to kernel-guide.xml, > this document need to be updated really, gentoo-dev-sources have died > for months and should be removed from the doc). > I'd like to know doc team's comment first before post it to > gentoo-dev. Any comment?
Adding a <doc> tag to metadata.xml has been discussed recently on -dev. Once the guys in charge of metadata.xml have implemented support for it, and once the devs have added the info to their packages' metadata.xml, and once the guys in charge of p.g.o use it, it will magically work. None of that is in the hands of GDP. Cheers, -- / Xavier Neys \_ Gentoo Documentation Project / French & Internationalisation Lead \ http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en /\ -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list