From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: Pentoo-installer
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 05:42:53
1 wireless posted on Thu, 31 Oct 2013 13:29:52 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > I just used the latest version of pentoo-installer.
4 >
5 > Quick recon: The only difference is make.conf is in /etc/portage/ ?
6
7 AFAIK, that's recommended for gentoo portage now too[1], tho there's
8 backward compatibility code in place to handle /etc/make.conf as well.
9
10 (That's my real reason for response, the below comments simply there
11 because I already am responding.)
12
13 > Anyone thought of just testing the pentoo-installer to install gentoo,
14 > quick and easy? I just think there should be a basic, easy install for
15 > gentoo. Pentoo offers that based on hardened (tool-chain and kernel).
16 >
17 > If there is a glaring problem with Pentoo, please post or drop me
18 > private email. The only problem I see is that it does not offer ZFS in
19 > the menu during installation.
20
21 AFAIK once you start shipping binaries (as an installer with that choice
22 would be doing) you end up in a legal gray area due to Sun-now-Oracle's
23 refusal to GPL the ZFS code. Some would therefore consider that lack a
24 feature, not a bug.[3] =:^)
25
26 > Another idea: What flags and configs would I have to change, if any,
27 > to keep the hardened tool-chain and kernel, but otherwise convert the
28 > Pentoo installation into a Gentoo system ?
29 >
30 > Or is Pentoo, just a specific needs gentoo installation?
31
32 I'd consider it the latter. It's available as a gentoo overlay[2], at
33 least, thereby pretty much fitting the definition.
34
35 ---
36 [1] The handbook even specifies /etc/portage/make.conf now, see
37
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=5#doc_chap3
39
40 [2] At least, that's what wikipedia claims (keeping in mind
41 my stated reason for responding, I've no personal knowledge of
42 pentoo, so...) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentoo
43
44 [3] One of the great things about the manual installation method
45 is that it's so open-ended; the handbooks document reasonable
46 defaults, but they're just that, reasonable defaults, leaving the
47 user free to branch out and do their own thing wherever they feel
48 the want/need, and we even document some of those branches in
49 separate documentation such as the alternate install guide. As
50 such, we can avoid the political debates and choices a more
51 featureful graphical installer could trigger, this being one of them.
52
53 Of course unofficial based-on/specific-needs subdistros such as
54 pentoo can do what they want, independent of gentoo.
55
56 So let's just not go into the whole zfs thing further,
57 and agree to leave it at that. =:^)
62 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman