From: Shyam Mani <fox2mike@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: cvs commit: quick-samba-howto.xml
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:33
Curtis Napier wrote:

> Yes indeed, ciaran is correct. You go by the "sound" not by the > spelling. That's why we say "an honor" instead of "a honor" (the h is > silent). But in the case of FAQ he is incorrect because it's pronounced > fa-ack not ef-ack. Silly en_GB speakers. :-)
Ummm, we pronounce it af eff a que. Not Fak. It is an acronym and eff a que is how you say it :) So, he's right and it is an FAQ. And from the above site... According to The Oxford Dictionary of American Usage and Style, "The indefinite article a is used before words beginning with a consonant sound, including /y/ and /w/ sounds. The other form, an, is used before words beginning with a vowel sound. Hence, a European country, a Ouija board, a uniform, an FBI agent... We say Eff Bee Eye agent, not Fubby agent or EffBee or EffBye, right? So it's Eff A Que :) not fack or you know where I'm going :p -- Shyam Mani | <fox2mike@g.o> docs-team | http://gdp.gentoo.org GPG key | 0xFDD0E345