From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] GDP policy updates
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:13:06
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I'd like to suggest a few changes on our GDP policy, namely:
4
5 - updating the license comment if you use a different license should be
6 mandatory (hence switch from "should" to "must")
7
8 Reason: I think this is a "typo" as "must" fits more in the idea of that
9 paragraph.
10
11 - drop using metadoc.xml for registering long outstanding bugs
12
13 Reason: it was a nice idea, but never truely used
14
15 - have project lead (or delegated person) "decide" on the recruitment
16 process / progress
17
18 Reason: we already dropped the time frame windows in the past, but wasn't
19 really clear who then decides that a phase can go through or not. So make
20 it explicit that it is the lead (or a delegated person)
21
22 - drop mandatory gdp quiz, make it recommended
23
24 Reason: we already have a contribution period where the recruit sends in
25 contributions or patches; the knowledge on the GuideXML, as far as needed
26 for the tasks the recruit wants to do, should be apparent from the
27 contributions.
28
29 The quiz requires more knowledge than we might expect from most
30 documentation developers (not in the past, but given the resources at hand
31 right now, it makes sense to remove the mandatory requirement).
32
33 Below is the suggested change on the policy.
34
35 Comments are of course welcome (otherwise I wouldn't mail to the mailinglist
36 :-P)
37
38 Wkr,
39 Sven Vermeulen
42 Index: doc-policy.xml
43 ===================================================================
44 RCS file: /var/cvsroot/gentoo/xml/htdocs/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-policy.xml,v
45 retrieving revision 1.27
46 diff -u -B -r1.27 doc-policy.xml
47 --- doc-policy.xml 29 Nov 2011 19:01:23 -0000 1.27
48 +++ doc-policy.xml 20 Mar 2013 17:04:40 -0000
49 @@ -186,7 +186,7 @@
50
51 <p>
52 If the 2.5 version is used, the tag can be either <c>&lt;license /&gt;</c> or
53 -<c>&lt;license version="2.5" /&gt;</c>. In either case should the comment be
54 +<c>&lt;license version="2.5" /&gt;</c>. In either case must the comment be
55 updated to refer to the correct version URL.
56 </p>
57
58 @@ -200,9 +200,7 @@
59 Every bug reported on <uri link="http://bugs.gentoo.org">bugs.gentoo.org</uri>
60 should be handled as fast as possible. If a bug cannot be handled
61 in a timely fashion, the reporter of that bug should be informed about
62 -this using a comment on the bug, and the bug should be registered in the
63 -<uri link="/proj/en/gdp/doc/metadoc-guide.xml">metadoc.xml</uri> file, if
64 -applicable.
65 +this using a comment on the bug.
66 </p>
67
68 <p>
69 @@ -377,9 +375,10 @@
70
71 <p>
72 If you feel that you have shown sufficient amount of contributions, contact
73 -the project lead of the Gentoo Documentation Project. He will ask you for your
74 -coordinates and other information, and then arrange for the next phase to be
75 -started.
76 +the project lead of the Gentoo Documentation Project who will review the
77 +contributions and the timeframe (or delegate this towards another GDP member).
78 +He will ask you for your coordinates and other information, and
79 +then arrange for the next phase to be started.
80 </p>
81
82 </body>
83 @@ -403,22 +402,20 @@
84 </p>
85
86 <p>
87 -During this period, the recruit:
88 +During this period, the recruit: is advised to learn about Gentoo's inner workings.
89 +This is required as he or she will be asked later on to answer Gentoo's <uri
90 +link="/proj/en/devrel/quiz/staff-quiz.txt">Staffing Quiz</uri>.
91 </p>
92
93 -<ul>
94 - <li>
95 - is advised to learn about Gentoo's inner workings.
96 - This is required as he or she will be asked later on to answer Gentoo's <uri
97 - link="/proj/en/devrel/quiz/staff-quiz.txt">Staffing Quiz</uri>.
98 - </li>
99 - <li>
100 - will be asked to fill in the <uri
101 - link="/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-quiz.xml">Gentoo Documentation Project
102 - Quiz</uri>. He or she needs to successfully pass this entire quiz
103 - (all questions) before we can continue with the next Phase.
104 - </li>
105 -</ul>
106 +<p>
107 +It is also recommended, but not automatically required, to fill in the <uri
108 +link="/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-quiz.xml">Gentoo Documentation Project Quiz</uri>.
109 +This will assist the recruit in learning more about how the Gentoo Documentation
110 +Project documentation works. If at a later time the Gentoo Documentation Project
111 +lead feels that the recruit (or by then editor or author) shows insufficient
112 +knowledge on this, he might ask the recruit (or by then editor or author) to
113 +work on the quiz after all.
114 +</p>
115
116 </body>
117 </section>
118 @@ -441,9 +438,9 @@
119
120 <p>
121 If the recruit is already a Gentoo Developer, the same recruitment process is
122 -followed, but the staffing quiz is not necessary anymore. However, the <uri
123 +followed, but of course the staffing quiz is not necessary anymore. The <uri
124 link="/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-quiz.xml">Gentoo Documentation Project Quiz</uri> is
125 -still mandatory.
126 +still recommended.
127 </p>
128